Women’s day is just around the corner and I wanted to put up a dessert post. But then I decided on a simple lunch which can be put together quickly. (Well we all realise the need of having quick and special recipes in hand). It’s often said that ‘eat like a King at lunch, so here comes my simple and special lunch menu for all my dear readers..
My Women’s day treat for you guys.
JOLL OF RICE
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
We had this dish from a restaurant years ago in Nigeria. My Mom then tried it out with a little bit of her own touch and it was a huge hit among family and friends. My brother named the dish by adding the restaurant’s name to it. From then on, it is popular in our family as ‘Joll of Rice’.
Cooked Rice – 2 cups (Red rice)
Onion – 1 medium
Tomato – 2 medium
Oil -2 tbsp
Red chilly powder – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Curry leaves – 2 strands
1. Boil some water. Put the washed tomatoes in it, close lid and keep it aside for 10 mins.
2.Then peel them and let it cool and purée the tomatoes and keep aside.
3. Grind the onion till no pieces are left behind.
4. Combine the onion and tomato purée.
5. Keep a pan (big enough to hold the whole of the rice)on fire. Add oil. When it’s hot, add curry leaves. Then add 2 tbsp of the onion-tomato mix. Stir for a minute on medium flame.
6. Now add chilly powder to it and sauté well till the raw smell goes.
7. Add the cooked rice little by little mixing well. Make sure the rice and the mixture is mixed evenly.
8. Switch off flame, cover with lid and keep for 5-7 mins.
Preparation time: 40mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Fish pieces – 5
Red chilly powder – 1 tbsp
Pepper corns – 1 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Curry leaves – 3 strands
Mustard – 1/4 tsp
Shallot onion – 2 nos
Oil – to combine and to fry
1. Combine chilly powder, pepper corns, turmeric powder, salt, curry leaves (1strand), mustard, shallot onion and oil. Grind to make a paste.
2. Marinate the fish pieces with the paste and keep in refrigerator for half an hour.
3. Heat oil in a pan, crack mustard, put the remaining strands of curry leaves.
4. Shallow fry the fish pieces on low flame. Cover with a lid. Turn sides when one side is well done (say after 5 mins).
5. Before serving, squeeze a little lemon juice over the fish pieces and you may garnish with onion rings.
1. Cracking mustard and putting curry leaves in oil before frying gives a fragrance to the fish and helps the fish from not sticking to the pan.
2. I used king fish. This recipes goes well for big fishes.
Preparation time: 5-7 mins
Onion – 1/2
Cucumber – 1/2
Green chilly – 1
Salt – to taste
Curd – 1 cup
1. Cut the onion and cucumber into cubes.
2. Beat curd till smooth with a fork. Add salt.
3. Add the onion and cucumber to the curd.
4. Garnish with a slit green chilly
1. You can garnish with coriander leaves if you don’t want to add the green chilly
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Setting time: 2-3 hours
Milk – 1 cup
Sugar – 1/2cup ( Can be varied according to taste)
Drinking chocolate- 2 tbsp
China grass- 5 gms
Water – 1/2 cup
1. Take the drinking chocolate and make a paste with 1 tspn of milk.Keep it aside.
2. Beat egg n sugar well.
3. Heat milk. When lukewarm, Add the egg sugar mix. Stir well to combine. Keep aside.
4. Now add d washed china grass to the water and keep on a medium flame to boil(stirring continuously). When the china grass fully dissolves, take off from flame and strain it.
5. Now add this to the milk-egg mixture.
6. On medium flame, stirring continuously bring the milk to boil.
7. Take off from flame and cool it stirring.
8. Once cool, pour in greased moulds. Add the chocolate paste vaguely here and there to give a marble effect.
9. Refrigerate till set.
10. Cut into shape of your choice and serve garnished with grated chocolate or chocolate syrup.
1. You have to stir the mixture continuously to avoid lumps.
2. Avoid cooling the mixture by keeping under fan or immersing in cold water.
3. I used bournvita instead of drinking chocolate
So how’s it? Sounds difficult?? Trust me! It isn’t. Only the pudding would be little difficult (with the stirring part). But it would be worth. The pudding is that tasty.
A note for our male readers: There would be women who cooked for you, stood by you and were your source of strength and support. This Women’s day gives you an opportunity to acknowledge the women in your life for their efforts. Give them a word of appreciation and make them feel good. So come on… try our Women’s day special lunch and surprise the lovely ladies in your life. Show them that you care.
A note to our female readers: Happy Women’s day in advance. Celebrate Womanhood, Celebrate Life!!