Pudding has been my childhood favourite. As I started cooking, pudding became the much made dessert at home. My husband loves caramel pudding and chocolate pudding is often on my craving list. Usually when I make pudding, there is grin on only one face. This time I thought none of us deserve a compromise and made this layered pudding with delicious caramel and undoubtedly yummy chocolate. This is a simple recipe using china grass. So you can simply ignore the steaming/ baking steps.
- Milk: 2 cups
- Sugar: 8 tbsp (3 tbspn for caramel)
- China grass: 10gms
- Water: 1 cup
- Cocoa powder: 1 tbsp
- Put 3-4 tbsp of sugar into a pan and put on medium heat. Let the sugar completely melt.
- Now add 2 tbsp of water to it after removing from fire. stir well.
- Put it back on fire stirring continuously. Once water and syrup is mixed well, take from fire and keep aside.
1. Mix milk and sugar. Divide milk equally into two parts. To the first portion, add cocoa powder and mix well to ensure there are no lumps.
- In another pan, add the washed china grass and water and heat on low flame.
- Stir continuously till the china grass is completely dissolved.
- Heat the second portion of milk and bring it to boil.
- Add half of the dissolved the china grass to it through a strainer. Increase flame, stir for another 2-3 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and stir continuously till it starts cooling.
- Pour caramel to the greased mould. Pour the milk to this mould. Set aside to cool completely.
- Now heat the chocolate milk and bring to boil. Add the remaining half of the china grass to this through the strainer. Increase flame, stir for another 2-3 min.
- Switch off flame and stir continuously till it starts cooling.
- Pour the milk to the greased mould.
- Refrigerate till set.
- Unmould, layer and serve chilled
1. Do not forget to keep the China grass on low flame and stir in between while you prepare the caramel pudding part. Melted China grass will get hard as it cools.
2. If you have any confusion, you can divide the China grass also into two portion and melt separately for the two layers.